Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Apple Picking

Yesterday Brooks, Keely and I went to my mom's house in the morning so I could download some pictures I needed for some scrapbook pages off her computer.  After I got that done, mom said she was going to go to town to get more apples from the apple tree in the yard of the parsonage of their church to make more applesauce with.  She asked if we wanted to come along, and I thought, sure why not! Turns out Brooks loved it! Before I even had Keely out of the car, he had picked one off the tree and started eating!


 Dad brought along a ladder, so we were able to get quite a few apples from that little tree! Some of them were pretty big!


 The apple picker....
 I needed to make something with apples yesterday, so I decided to make "Apple Things"  I have no idea what their real name is, but they are zweiback dough topped with apples and sugar.  For those of you who don't know what zweiback are, they are a Mennonite bread roll that have 2 rolls put together (one on top of the other).  They are a tradition in my family, but I had never made them before (at least successfully!).  Since my mom has a bread machine recipe for the dough, I figured it would be easy enough to try out. 


Brooks of course had to help me put the ingredients in the bread machine...he's probably going to be a chef someday as much as he loves to help in the kitchen! :)
 Before going into the oven...
 The yummy finished product! (baked at 400 for 15-20 min)
Unfortunately these Apple Things only used up 3 of the apples, so I still have a bunch to do something with.  I want to make an apple crisp yet and then I will probably try and freeze some cut up with sugar and flour to use in a future pie....we'll see how that turns out!

No comments: